Amblyopia is the partial vision in one eye, rarely both.
It may be irreversible. His eyes are apparently normal, but upon examination it is found that one eye sees well and the other look bad. This visual defect must be corrected before the age of six. Then it is too late and the child will be invalid in one eye forever. It causes blindness. Some authors call it "lazy eye ..." or even "lazy eye ...". Personally I do not agree with any of these terms. Some parents think that the "lazy eye" ... this with "lazy" ... and if one day you remove the "laziness" ... suddenly back to normal ... which is completely false.
To AMBLIOPYA, we must have him very carefully that causes permanent disability for a child and determines the risk of blindness if the person has an accident or illness during adulthood, which may injure the only remaining eye.
450 years B.C. Hippocrates... said: "If the doctor does not find any alteration in the eyes of a child and if the child does not see for one of them... the diagnosis is AMBLIOPY”
The global campaign launched in 1987 ... and 99% of the population had no idea of the existence of this serious eye problem ...
Every human being is exposed. Hence the importance of finding the child at risk of amblyopia in time. Amblyopia can be severe, medium and light.
It should be noted that the child seems perfectly normal eyes, however, one only looks good and the other seems perfectly normal, it works very badly. If this is discovered after six years of age ... it may be too late.
CLASSIFICATION: For Anisometropia, Strabismus, Nystagmus, Hysterical, Toxoplasmosis, Congenital Cataracts, Toxocariasis, Ptosis, Congenital Glaucoma, Micro Ophthalmia, Retinopathy of Immaturity.
- In Anisometropia, one eye has a significant optical defect and brain do not accept this blurred image is the cause of 85% of Amblyopia, these kids are a big help if treatment is started, hopefully, two or three years. Rarely optical defect affects both eyes.
- In Strabismus, the child should be examined and treated by the Ophthalmologist soon as the child begins to divert the eye. Thus the child is under one year old.
- In cases of Nystagmus (eye involuntary movements) must be treated immediately by an ophthalmologist.
- Hysterical, treatment is in the field of psychiatry.
- Toxoplasmosis. It is serious if the Toxoplasma Gondi affected the area of the macula. Risk of blindness is irreversible. The mother did not have adequate control before pregnancy or during the first months of pregnancy.
- Congenital cataract. It is almost always bilateral. It must very often infestation mother Rubella in the first three months of pregnancy. The child must be congenital cataract surgery on the two or three weeks.
- Toxocariasis. It has the same characteristics of Toxoplasmosis.
- Ptosis. The child should be operated on immediately. It causes severe Amblyopia.
- Glaucoma Congenital Glaucoma. Should be operated immediately. It causes severe Amblyopia.
- Micro Ophthalmia. It is an invalid birth. It causes severe Amblyopia.
- Proliferative Retinopathy of immaturity. Your treatment and prognosis is relative.
FOLLOW SIGNS TO AGREE:
- If the child is very close to see an object and vice versa.
- If you read close
- Rubbing eyes frequently
- If you encounter frequency
- If it blinks excessively
- If you repeat Styes
- the child is looking for which is in correct position,
as the wandering eye has no visibility.
Take urgent and is one year old.
- If the eyelid of one eye is fallen, fallen (Ptosis).
- If one eye is bigger or smaller than the other.
- If the pupil instead of black and white central (congenital cataract).
REMEMBER: VISUAL DEFECTS ARE POTENTIALLY HEREDITARY
Treatment of children at risk of Amblyopia is manifold and corresponds to the eye doctor to find the procedures to suit each case.
The vast majority of children at risk for Amblyopia have excellent opportunities to develop successfully if treatment is started at three years of age, except children who divert the eye, whose treatment should be initiated only one eye deviates child.
By school age the visual defect may manifest mismatch or serious behavioral problems, slow performance, loss of years of study, etc.. The most serious is that the child is at risk of not developing its full potential intelligence base, which is an irreparable loss, immeasurable.
Treating Amblyopia time rescues a child from the risk of blindness, since a freak accident can damage the one good eye, the work limitation or fatal injury to the detriment of their physical and intellectual.
The campaign also specializes in detecting children who learn little or will lose years of school because the board look bad class for visual defects such as nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism in both eyes and affects 35% of the school population in the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean.
In adults, treatment with laser surgery is extremely favorable for redressing the severe visual impairment, for which they are required to wear contact lenses for life. This release of glasses or contact lenses is a blessing that comes to life for these people.
Those who want my opinion in relation to their children or adults, please write to my e-mail:
In cases of patients in whom the problem can not be resolved with laser surgery, other methods that give the complete solution, such as surgery with intraocular lenses, intrastromal rings, etc..
According to the World Bank study, "in Latin America 42% of students repeat the first grade and 29% each and every one of the years of study. These averages are the worst in the world, and put these students in classes for the second time, costs governments in Latin America about 2,500 million dollars every year".
In the third world, preventive examination prevents that 4 % of children, suffer ambliopy year after year . Also 35% of children with other simple sight problems can be detected and corrected in time, and consequently they will integrate correctly what they see with what they hear in their brains, in the crucial period of brain sensory stimulation – the most important in life- In this way they will get the maximum intellectual potentialities of a child, for the benefit of humanity.
In most cases, amblyopia may be irreversible after six.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology thinks that 2% of the population suffers from amblyopia and the Chilean society of Ophthalmology Congress (publication of the Congress s.a. agree at 4% for least developed countries. This means , in general terms, loss of human resources.
In the world there is over 37 million people with sight disabilities, 80% are in undeveloped countries. This is due to lack of prevention!
According to our statistics, in Colombia, 70 % of children repeat a school year because they do not see appropriately the board.
It is important to protect the human resource. According to the 1993 census population, there were 33 '. 109. 840 Colombian people including 7 ' 403. 560 at school. They were distributed in this way: 5 ' 118.114 at preschool and primary and 2 ' 285.416 at high school. A quarter of them will study professional careers. It´s possible to develop the potentiality of all these people.
The campaign uses a Methodology which is easy to run, low cost and offers effective results.